Our Grandparents…A Gift From God

(Address and Prayer offered for Freshman Grandparents’ Day at La Salle Academy on Friday, November 13, 2015)

The relationships that a person builds with their grandparents are an important blessing in their life. These relationships are especially significant to those that are around the age of myself and my classmates. They help us to discover more about not only our grandparents, but ourselves and our families as well. At this age, we are discovering who we want to become. Our grandparents offer us a guiding hand, a loving embrace, and some smart advice while we are on our way to wherever we are going.

Our grandparents support us in our activities both in and outside of school. They cheer us on in our athletic events, shows, and clubs. Some help to pay our tuition or give us rides to school. They are always there for us when we need them. Grandparents care for (and often spoil) their grandchildren out of the love they have for them. My grandparents have done so much for me, and I am so happy to have them in my life. I’m sure my classmates would agree.

I enjoy hearing the stories my grandparents tell me. I’m grateful that I get the opportunity for my grandparents to share with me their knowledge, wisdom, and experience. The funny stories about my relatives before I was born are my favorites. When my grandparents tell me these stories, I learn more and more about them: who they are, where they came from, and what they have learned throughout their lives. Without our grandparents, obviously none of us would be here, and they have given us so much to be grateful for. Memories of bonding with our grandparents are ones we keep with us throughout our lives.

As young adults, my peers and I are trying to figure out who we are in one way or another. As we develop our interests, make friends, and begin to choose which paths we will follow, our relationships with our grandparents are even more important. They shared their stories with us so we got to know them. Now they help us to know more about who we are, where we came from, and why our lives are the way they are. We learn more about how we got to where we are as individuals and as a family. Our grandparents’ presence in our lives, whether this presence is physical or held in our hearts, gives us a sense of belonging, tradition, purpose, and joy. We are enriched by our grandparents, and this helps us develop into the people we want to be. Our grandparents are a gift to us from God.

Today, two of my grandparents are here to visit, and I am honored to have them with me. I am grateful for all that they do, and I love and cherish them very much. To all the grandparents that are here with us today, on behalf of the class of 2019, welcome to La Salle Academy, and I hope that you enjoy your day.

CTstExAUwAA2b3j

I would like to conclude with a prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you for our grandparents. They give us unconditional love and instill in us important values that are helping to shape us as we grow up. We ask for your blessing on all grandparent-grandchild relationships. Please watch over all the world’s grandparents, because in them we can see your face. Amen.

Saint John Baptist de La Salle, pray for us.
Live, Jesus, in our hearts, forever.

Katherine Kerr–Class of 2019