This Is The Moment

(Prayer offered on the Public Address system for the entire La Salle Academy educational community on Monday, 13 March 2017)

Let us remember that we are in the holy presence of God.

Anyone who has class with Mr. Tanski knows that he often offers a riddle as a bonus at the end of a quiz. He used a particular riddle that stuck with me. It goes like this, “I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all who live and breathe on this terrestrial ball. What am I?”  Give up? The answer is “tomorrow” or “the future.” Let me just repeat one part. “I am the confidence of all who live and breathe on this terrestrial ball. ” That part of the riddle made me think. We all really do put so much confidence into the future. We rely on the future.

It seems as though we are always preparing for something. We consume ourselves in the future, planning out our days and weeks, getting ready for tests and quizzes, college, dreaming about what will come to us in days that are not today.

Look around at everyone sitting in homeroom with you. These people, this classroom… This is a moment. There will never be another just like it. Take it in, because it’s already gone.

Moments are passing by us like speeding cars, and it’s rare that we notice it. In all of our stress about the future, we tend to forget about right now. There is no better time than right now to do the things we want to do: to better ourselves, to do something out of our comfort zones, to stop procrastinating. We all know that thinking and planning for the future is important. But in light of this, we have become so reliant on tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. That can become an endless cycle. If we dream about tomorrow bringing great things and don’t do anything today to make them happen, we set ourselves up for disappointment, once we realize that we missed our chance yesterday. So, I challenge you to live in the moment today. Appreciate things now. Do things now. Because in reality, God gives us the present. What we do with it now becomes the future.

Let us pray.

Heavenly Father,

Please give us the wisdom to recognize that every moment is a gift from you. We ask you for the motivation and courage to live each of our moments in your service.  Amen.

St. John Baptist de La Salle, Pray for us.

Live, Jesus, in our hearts, Forever.

Carpe Diem, La Salle!

Katherine Kerr–Class of 2019