“A Lamp to My Feet—A Light unto My Path”

(Prayer offered on the Public Address system for the entire La Salle Academy educational community on Tuesday morning, 28 March 2017)

Let us remember that we are in the Holy Presence of a Loving God…

Your Word is a lamp to my feet, O God,

And a Light unto my path…

This verse from Sacred Scripture (a line from the longest psalm in the Bible, Psalm 119:105,) has resonated with me for quite some time and will serve as my theme for this morning’s prayer.

As we embark on this Lenten journey, I thought I would share how I am challenging myself to grow closer to Jesus during this Lenten season.

During February break I started to contemplate how I can grow closer to God this Lenten season.  I knew I wanted to pray more, sin less, and do more for others, but I wasn’t sure how that would look.  I stumbled upon an App called the Bible Project.  I had used some videos from this ministry before when teaching Scripture classes but as I was exploring the website more in depth, I noticed that they offered a reading plan to read through the entire Bible in one year’s time.  While this is a challenge that extends far beyond the 40 days of Lent, I thought it would be a great way to immerse myself in God’s Word every day.  I experience God’s Word in Mass and certainly in our daily routine here at La Salle, but I wanted a way to connect with God more deeply and more intimately, through His Word, and this particular plan offered me a structured method to do so.  I started this daily reading plan which incorporates short videos that are engaging and informative, a couple chapters to read, and one psalm each day upon which to meditate. I already feel a shift in my attitude and outlook.  And after all, that’s what Lent is all about—a season to remind me of what’s truly important, my relationship with Jesus.  God’s word is a lamp to my feet, reminding me to put one foot in front of the other, one day at a time, in loving trust of His plan for me.  Throughout my life, God has demonstrated His boundless mercy, His unwavering faithfulness, and His amazing love for me.  Spending time with Scripture each day reminds me of how blessed I truly am, and helps me to see the world from His perspective.  God’s Word reminds me that just like God had a plan for Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, He also has a plan for me. Despite my limitations, flaws, and imperfections (of which there are plenty I can assure you), I am, as we all are, a part of something greater than ourselves, God’s story…And ultimately that’s what Sacred Scripture is, God’s story.  And it is a love story. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest love story one could hope to be true.  So while this particular Bible Project App and reading plan is something that is working for me, I pray and hope that you find a way that works for you to connect with God more deeply this Lenten season.  God is not limited by space or time, so it is never too late (or too early for that matter) to take advantage of an opportunity like Lent to grow in our faith.

Let us pray…

Dear God, thank You for this Lenten opportunity that You provide us with to know You, to love You, and to serve You better.

Thank You for Your Church that gives us these Holy Seasons to prepare our hearts and our minds and our spirits, to receive Your abundant grace which you lavish upon us.

May Your Word guide our feet and light our path always, Amen.

Saint John Baptist de La Salle…Pray for us.

Live Jesus in our Hearts…Forever.

Anthony Russo–Member of the Campus Ministry team