Am I Bringing Joy?

(Prayer offered on the Public Address system for the entire La Salle Academy educational community on Tuesday morning, 5 December 2017)

Let us remember we are in the holy presence of God …

A couple of months ago I was sitting on my couch and instead of doing homework I decided to watch a movie on Netflix. I happened to choose one movie on that particular day, titled The Bucket List. The movie is about two terminally ill patients, Edward played by Jack Nicholson and Carter played by Morgan Freeman. The two of them, upon learning of their diagnosis, develop a bucket list. They travel around the world and at one point they are sitting on top of the pyramids of Giza. Carter turns to Edward and says “You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions.  Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not.  ‘Have you found joy in your life?’  ‘Has your life brought joy to others?’”

When I wake up in the morning that is one of the first thoughts that goes through my head, has my life brought joy? Will the text I am about to send help anyone? Will ignoring people make anyone happy? Finding joy and bringing joy go hand in hand. So I ask you to ask yourself “am I bringing joy?” before you send that text, post on your finsta, make a comment in the hallway, or tell everyone about your grade on a test.

Let us pray

Lord…

Help us to bring joy to those around us especially when we do not feel particularly joyful ourselves.  Help us to remember that our words, texts, actions can all have a positive or negative affect on others.

Saint John Baptist de La Salle…Pray for Us.

Live Jesus in our Hearts…Forever.

Anne Rogers–Class of 2019