Lessons from French Toast

(Prayer offered for the entire La Salle Academy educational community on Wednesday morning, 28 November 2018)

Good Morning, La Salle and De La Salle.

Happy International French Toast Day… that’s right, it is International French Toast Day today!

Let us remember we are in the holy presence of a loving God…

The smell of warm French toast cooking on the stove early in the morning, a true sign of the weekend or even better, break!  How we all long for the days where no alarm needs to be set and getting out of bed is a choice we don’t have to make right away.

To be honest, the smell of French Toast will not get me out of bed, simply because I am not a huge fan. However, I love to cook! And the recipe for French toast is not all that complicated.

Mixing the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar is the first step to cooking French toast. This is the sweet stuff that without it, the French toast would simply be soaked bread. In life, these are our friends, our family, and all the awesome things we looked forward to spicing up our life with.

Next comes the eggs, milk and vanilla… to me these are the necessities that are not all that exciting. I guess vanilla smells good, but take my advice and never taste it! You’ll regret it every time. In life, this is school, work, and chores; we don’t have the option to change these up much but they are a necessity to a successful life.

And the bread of course! This is you… Are you the sweet bread, rye bread, wheat bread, baguette, or organic seven grain? No matter the difference, this is you and you should be proud.

Now time to melt the butter on medium heat, take your slice of bread, dip it in your mixture, and place it upon the pan. I know it can be tough to wait… we can all be impatient at times. But whatever you do, do not turn the stove to high; this is where the heat takes over and it never usually ends well.

The infamous flip… this can be a major challenge.  Is the timing right? Is it sticking to the pan? Do I put the spatula all the way under the slice of bread and pick it up or just grab the corner and flip? Life is full of questions and challenges. There are some answers that may be better than others but not many wrong ones.

Now pick up the French toast from the pan, place it on your plate and time to drizzle maple syrup and even sprinkle some powdered sugar for aesthetics. This is the good stuff—no matter how burnt or under cooked the French toast is, it is always there. This is Christ in our lives. He is there when we nail it perfectly or completely fail.

Let us pray,
Lord, thank you for our foundation, our necessities of life and all that spice it up. Despite the questions and challenges, may we all recall that you are there from the beginning, in the middle and at the end.

Saint John Baptist de La Salle – Pray for Us

Love Jesus in Our Hearts – Forever

Katie Haidemenos–Campus Minister